Now is a good time to remodel, the Los Angeles Times says, for five reasons that we have taken the liberty of paraphrasing:
1. With interest rates low, you can borrow against untapped equity at a lower cost than a year ago.
2. Houses age. When you need a new roof, you need a new roof.
3. Not a good time to sell, so make your current house comfortable enough to live in for a while.
4. New-home builders are now competing with remodeling contractors for your job so you can negotiate a lower price.
5. The contractor needs the work so badly that the crew may even show up on the date promised. (If this happens, please let us know. We'll want to take photos to show our grandchildren someday, after we have grandchildren.)
[Photo credit: Bat Phone courtesy of Bat Cave]